- Tesco is set to celebrate its commitment to working in partnership with British farmers at four major agricultural shows this summer.
8 Jun 2017
The retailer will have a flagship presence at the Royal Cornwall Show, the Royal Highland Show, the Great Yorkshire Show and the Royal Welsh Show.
At each of the shows, visitors to the Tesco stand will have the opportunity to:
- Learn all about how Tesco is working in partnership with British farming through groundbreaking initiatives like the Tesco Sustainable Dairy Group, Future Farmer Foundation and Fair For Farmers Guarantee;
- Hear first-hand the stories behind the food on Tesco shelves by meeting local suppliers;
- Sample a wide variety of British fruit and vegetables, local cheeses and regional meats as well as learn all about cooking delicious and nutritious family meals, and preparing cuts of meat through butchery demonstrations; and
- Vote for a local community project to receive funding through the Tesco ‘Bags of Help’ scheme.
In addition, there will be plenty of opportunity to learn about the work Tesco is doing to reduce food waste and make healthier choices a little easier for families.
Tesco is absolutely committed to improving its relationship with its suppliers, who have reported year-on-year improvements over the past three years in terms of Tesco being transparent and easy to deal with, a good communicator and treating suppliers fairly. Almost 80% of suppliers reported being happy with their engagement with Tesco last year and 98% of dairy farmers say they have benefited from being part of the Tesco Sustainable Dairy Group, which helps make sure farmers receive a fair price for their milk. The Tesco Sustainable Dairy Group has been running for the past ten years, and lamb and potato groups have also now been established too.
Tesco also came first in the latest survey capturing feedback on supplier and retailer performance run by independent market research company Advantage, up from sixth in 2014.
Barney Kay, Head of Agriculture for Tesco said:
“We’re going to celebrate our long-term partnership with British farmers and suppliers at these agricultural shows by telling the story of how we work together with real experts in their fields to bring affordable, fresh, quality food that’s fair for all.
“British farmers produce some of the best food in the world, and we believe that if we invest in farming for the long-term, customers will get better quality, fresh, affordable food today and tomorrow.
“There will be lots of opportunities to learn about how we work with the farming community as well opportunities to sample local produce, so if you’re planning to attend the shows make sure you come and say hi to us at the Tesco stand!”