- Owners of 2009-2011 Jaguar XF and 2007-2011 Land Rover Range Rover vehicles are encouraged to visit www.SaferCar.gov to check if their vehicle is included in this initial round of the Takata related recall
In accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Jaguar Land Rover North America today announced it has begun notifying owners of certain 2009-2011 Jaguar XF and 2007-2011 Land Rover Range Rover vehicles of a recall affecting the safety of passenger side airbags fitted to these vehicles.
For the first phase of this recall, owners of the identified vehicles that are currently, or have ever been, registered in the following areas are encouraged to visit www.SaferCar.gov and enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to find out if their vehicle is included in this recall at this time:
– US States: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas
– US Territories: Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands
As parts become available, later this year, affected owners will be notified by a second mailing and instructed to schedule an appointment to take their vehicle to a Jaguar or Land Rover retailer who will replace the front passenger airbag module free of charge. In the interim, owners of potentially affected vehicles can contact the Jaguar Land Rover North America Customer Relationship Center for further information by calling 1-800-637-6837 (Option 9 for Land Rover) or 1-800-4JAGUAR; visitingwww.LandRoverUSA.com or www.JaguarUSA.com; or writing to:
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
ATTN: Customer Relationship Center
555 MacArthur Boulevard, Mahwah, NJ 07430
Given the size and complexity of the recall, replacement parts are not immediately available for the affected vehicles. Jaguar Land Rover is working closely with its suppliers to produce components for this repair as quickly as possible. Affected vehicles are being prioritized for repair — split into four separate phases — based on geographic zone and vehicle age.
Additional phases of this recall will be added through 2019 based on risk-assessed priority. As the recall is expanded to other geographic zones or vehicle age groups, owners of Jaguar Land Rover vehicles which are affected will be notified as well.
This recall is part of the May 4, 2016 expansion of what was already the largest and most complex safety recall in US history, affecting approximately 68 million cars and trucks on the road today fitted with Takata non-desiccated ammonium nitrate airbag inflators.
Approximately 54,000 Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles of a total affected population of 108,000 are included in the first wave of this recall. Additional remaining affected vehicles will be addressed at a later date, as per the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) specific priority scheme. However, it is important to note no current model year Jaguar or Land Rover vehicles are affected.
Prolonged exposure to combined high heat and humidity can cause the affected inflators to degrade – at varying rates in different conditions – increasing the risk that the front passenger airbag module inflator housing may rupture and deploy abnormally in the event of a crash; potentially resulting in metal fragments striking the passenger or other occupants, resulting in serious injury or death.
– Jaguar Land Rover North America is not aware of any case of an airbag module rupture on any of the 108,000 vehicles included in this recall. Owners can continue to use their vehicle until the recall repair has been performed.
About Jaguar Land Rover
– The United States is one of the leading global markets for both Jaguar and Land Rover
– Jaguar Land Rover employs 32,000 people and sells vehicles in 170 countries around the world
– Jaguar Land Rover has two state of the art engineering and design facilities and four advanced manufacturing plants in the UK
– Headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey in the United States, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has offices across theUSA
– Jaguar Land Rover is represented by more than 330 independently operated retail outlets in the USA
Jaguar is a premier manufacturer of luxury sedans, sports cars and SUVs offering unparalleled design with tremendous performance. The company’s vision throughout its storied history has been simple: To produce beautiful, fast cars that are desired the world over. Jaguar strives to provide a world class ownership experience to every owner. Today’s Jaguar lineup consists of the Jaguar XE and XF sports sedans, the XJ full-size luxury sedan, the two-seat F-TYPE sports car and the brands first-ever SUV, the F-PACE. Jaguar designs, engineers and manufactures exclusively in the United Kingdom, at the Castle Bromwich and Solihull manufacturing plants in the British Midlands. Jaguar is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs. For more information visit the official Jaguar website at www.jaguarusa.com.
About Land Rover
Land Rover, the British maker of Land Rover and Range Rover sport utility vehicles, is renowned for providing its clientele with some of the most luxurious and capable vehicles in the world. Every Land Rover vehicle is equally at home both on and off road, and in any setting; be it in the heart of the city, or traversing the countryside. Today’s Land Rover lineup includes the Discovery Sport, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Evoque and LR4 (Discovery 4). Land Rover designs, engineers, and manufactures their vehicles in the United Kingdom. Land Rover is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs. For more information visit the official Land Rover website at www.landroverusa.com.