- On the World Oceans Day, 8 June, Equinor steps up its leadership in promoting long-term ocean well-being. Equinor is a founding patron in the United Nations Global Compact Action Platform for Sustainable Ocean Business. The action platform is launched today at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
“Equinor provides energy to millions of people every day from our offshore operations around the world. As one of the world’s largest offshore operators of oil and gas and an innovator in offshore wind, ocean sustainability is at the heart of our operations and strategy. We are proud to be part of the leadership in the United Nations Global Compact action platform for sustainable oceans,” says Bjørn Otto Sverdrup, senior vice president for corporate sustainability in Equinor.
“Caring for the oceans is part of our DNA. With our background from Norway, one of the world’s leading ocean economies, we recognize that the ocean is our greatest common resource. We are inspired and guided in our activities by the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, and we look forward to forming new partnerships to leverage the ocean as a resource to deliver the Global Goals,” says Sverdrup.
Equinor has been a UN Global Compact signatory since its inception in 2000. The Action Platform for Sustainable Ocean Business is a three-year global program bringing together business, civil society, the UN and governments to advance the ocean economy and sustainable development.
“This platform is a unique opportunity to collaborate in developing innovative approaches to progress the UN Sustainable Development agenda. Equinor’s commitment to long-term sustainable value creation is in line with the principles of the United Nation’s Global Compact,” says Sverdrup.
Supported by the government of Norway, the action platform will develop a business leadership framework focused on the growth, innovation and sustainability of the ocean, with a specific aim to scale-up the commitments and performance of companies on this critical agenda.
The program is part of a broader portfolio of Action Platforms introduced by the UN Global Compact to facilitate the achievement of the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Global Goals. Equinor is also participating in the action platform on Pathways to Low-Carbon and Resilient Development, to continue and deepen the company’s contributions to solving the climate challenge.
THE UN GLOBAL COMPACT ACTION PLATFORM FOR SUSTAINABLE OCEAN BUSINESS:
- Develop a Framework for Leadership for the Global Goals and the Ocean, seas and marine resources.
- Inspire partnership and local action: Expand existing successful partnerships at the country-level and foster innovative solutions to advance the implementation of the Global Goals through ocean sustainability.
- Engage in advocacy and public policy: Design policy advocacy toolkits on critical issues.
- Map and gather new data: Map industry-level impact on sustainable ocean development.